VPNs are getting too much attention these days as more and more internet users and companies see running a privacy enhancing service as an IT requirement rather than just a piece of luxury stuff. VPNs are becoming increasingly popular among companies as a means of securing their sensitive data when connecting to remote data centers, it also becoming increasingly common among individual users as a method for securing and encrypting their communication links.
|Image by: TechnologyBloggers|
There's a lot on things written about VPNs but very little explanations about how to make them even more secure. VPNs can be very secure if setup and used correctly, it provides a very strong encryption, enables authenticated access to the network from external and untrusted environments. It allow secure access to corporate resources by establishing an encrypted tunnel across the Internet.
Today we take a closer look at a few important tips that can help you enhance the security of your VPN. The following are the top 10 tips to make your VPN more secure.
1. Use the strongest possible authentication method.
2. Use the strongest possible encryption method
3. Enforce a strong password policy
4. Provide strong antivirus and personal firewall protection to remote users
5. Limit VPN access to those with a valid business reason
6. Secure remote wireless networks
7. Double up your security for extra protection
8. Fix the PPTP/IPv6 security flaws and issues
9. Use VPN providers that take privacy seriously
10. Avoid DNS leak